Sunday, April 27, 2014

Earth Day 2014

It has been one year and a week since I started this blog. I was waiting to mark the day by going to the same Earth Day celebration that inspired me to launch this blog last year. Yesterday was Green Columbus' Earth Day Celebration at the Columbus Commons, and it was just as encouraging and motivating as last year. Zac, his sister Camille, our dogs, and I spent the better part of the afternoon at the event. We found ourselves drawn into both the atmosphere and the event's theme of gratitude.  
Speaking of gratitude I am so thankful to all my readers for the support and motivation you've all provided me. Looking back at this time in my life last year (you can read the blog post for proof) I was unclear on the direction I wanted my life to take. After spending a year making connections, volunteering, and exploring Columbus' environmentally friendly offerings, I feel like I have my life on track to become the person I've been wanting to be. I've completed my first master's class for environmental education at Slippery Rock University and I've met remarkable people who get out everyday and work to make our planet a safer, cleaner, and more educated place.


At the Earth Day Celebration I was reminded of how shy I was last year. I kept thinking back to the girl who showed up last year with a fistful of résumés in her purse and quake in her voice.

Yesterday I looked around and noticed that more and more of the businesses, government groups, and non-profits represented were familiar to me. The event had many remarkable vendors, all of whom deserve their own blog post, who inspired me to keep working on my goals to become more and more active in the many environmental fields. 


Thank you again to my family and friends and to everyone else who reads this blog. I couldn't have come this far without you. Lastly a big thanks to Zac, my loving and compassionate boyfriend, who I'm always dragging to every random park or green event in the city. Thank you for waking up early for hikes, taking photos, and carrying a easily fatigued pug around many a Metro Park. I couldn't have done this without all of you. Here's to a bigger and even better year!


Here are links to my favorite groups at the event so you can explore further: 

Columbus Metro Parks
Columbus Zoo
Moms Clean Air Force
Fit Food
Bring The Farm To You
Green Scoop
Grange Insurance Audubon Center
Keep Columbus Beautiful
CD 102.5
Yoga On High
Natural Awakenings
Green Energy Ohio
Third Sun Solar
The Nature Conservancy

No comments:

Post a Comment