Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Grassbird Birds At Glacier Ridge

Rarely do I go birding with a group of people. Normally I take just one close friend or I go by myself but this past weekend I explored the concept of birding with a group. I had a school assignment to complete where I was required to go on a wildlife education outing of my choice (coolest homework assignment ever) and review the outing from an educational standpoint.

I visited the Metro Park programs site and found an outing at Glacier Ridge that seemed interesting so I grabbed my good friend Shauna and we ventured out to join our first group birding experience.

The number of people who turned out for the event surprised me. Initially I was nervous the birds would see a pack of humans and fly away as fast as possible but that turned out to not be the case. We got to see and hear a lot of winged wonders, like the bobolink, prairie swallow, grasshopper sparrow, and eastern meadowlark.

The educator, Chrissy Hoff, is a highly skilled naturalist who is knowledgeable about the wildlife and the plant life of her park. We also had the birding experience of a Marcia Brehmer, a highly trained Metro Parks volunteer whose years of birding experience was both enlightening and entertaining.

I would recommend group birding to anyone who is interested in sharing a learning experience. It’s great to walk with people who have different worldviews and levels of birding experience. It’s like having 20 pairs of eyes and ears. However, if you’re seeking a peaceful bird outing and a quiet connection with nature, group birding might not be the event for you.

All in all I made some good connects and met some really talented birders who taught me thing I’ve never noticed before. I would suggest going to Metro Parks program site and finding an event that suits you or your family. If you attend one please share your experiences in the comments below.







No comments:

Post a Comment