
This past Saturday I donated some of my weekend to Keep Columbus Beautiful’s Planting Pride on Parsons event. I had a wonderful time. The event was well organized, fun, and full of people who were motivated to help. The weather was ideal and everyone, including the residents of
Parsons Avenue, where keen on working to beautify this area of
Columbus. We all met up at the gathering point for instructions, breakfast, coffee, and free T-shirts.

I went to the event alone and knew literally no one but the gentlemen from Keep Columbus Beautiful who recruited me. In no time at all I hooked up with two other ladies who are just as passionate as I and we started planting. Some people where put on soil, mulch, or water duty while the rest of us were broken into groups of three. The three person teams then walked from planter to planter until we’d placed four fall mums and one curly kale cabbage in each of the 118 hand painted planters. We also picked up litter and conversed with the residents of
Parson Avenue to increase the impact of the project.

It was great to see so many people volunteering from all over
Columbus. Groups came out from Nationwide Children’s, CD102, The Ohio State University, residents of Columbus’ South Side, and unattached folks like myself who were looking to pitch in where we could. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend keeping an eye out for when Keep Columbus Beautiful has events like this. Not only do you get to meet some remarkably giving people but you gain a new appreciation of what it takes to keep
Columbus clean.
If you would like to volunteer with Keep Columbus Beautiful please follow the link to their website and sign up for whatever event you find interesting.
Photos provided by Keep Columbus Beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment