Bluestone State Park

It’s been
so long since I’ve updated my blog and sadly I haven’t had much time to venture
outside. To make that up to myself, my boyfriend and I took the whole first
week of September and went to BluestoneState Park in West Virginia. The entire trip from start to
finish was stunning, engaging, and adventurous. We rented a cabin which came
outfitted with a stove, cooking supplies, microwave, shower, and a large comfy
bed. Nearly every day we hiked, recovered for a bit in the cabin, then ventured
to the towns around Bluestone to get a taste of the local life.
The park itself is 2,100 acres of
forested ground where the trails lead up and down delightfully challenging
mountains. Each of the trails is a journey all its own with different vistas,
sights, and levels of difficulty. After a hearty breakfast, Zac and I spend three
out of the four full days hiking around the park and exploring the wild
wonderfulness of West Virginia.
Though I wasn’t rewarded with as many types of birds I wished to see, (probably
because I was straining to get up the mountains) we did see quite a lot of
deer, caterpillars, water fowl, and butterflies.

Along with Bluestone we visited Pipestem Resort State Park
which is a lovely relaxing get away. Hiking is available there as well as an indoor
heated pool, golf, putt-putt, and a restaurant with a dazzling view. We also
went to Sandstone Falls for a few hours and
were both just mesmerized. Sandstone
Falls is the starting point
for the New Rivers as it makes it’s way to the Gorge. Watching the New River
run though Sandstone
Falls is just a taste of
the power and beauty of seeing the Gorge. On our way back to Ohio,
we finally drove to the New River Gorge Bridge.
The trip to the New River
Gorge Bridge
vista was a little bit out of our way but worth the time and energy as the view
was spectacular


To mix up our wilderness exploration
we spent a few hours each day in the city Hinton which was right down the road
from our cabin. Hinton is by far one of the most friendly towns I have ever had
the privilege of visiting. Not only are the folks profusely friendly but the
eateries and local shops add to the charm of the city. We ate lunch at The
Chestnut Revival and dinner at The Market Courthouse Square. Both meals were
unmistakably made with time and care. I bought a thank you gift for my
dog-sitting roommate at Otter and Oak, and Zac and I toured the local Hinton Railroad
Museum. We also stopped
by the visitors bureau where Chris Meadow and his staff were more than happy to
load us up with pamphlets, maps, and hand drawn routes to the best places in
the Summers County area.

Between hiking, shopping, dining,
putt-putting, and relaxing, Zac and I were never wanting for things to do. We
spent a few nights in the cabin with a board game or book and a bottle of wine,
but honestly we were too tired from hiking and exploring Hinton to be out very
late. If you’re looking for a relaxing place to vacation and enjoy some time
getting back in tune with the wilderness, Bluestone State Park and the
neighboring areas will provide you with plenty to do (or not to do) in a clean
welcoming environment.
You do a wonderful job on this blog! I really appreciate it..my Mother was born and raised in Hinton, and her Grandmother Hellems owned the restaurant (1940's-60's) which stood where the local W.V.Highway Patrol office (1980's-?) used to be. From what I understand, she offered the first pizza in town. I am from the Hellems-Ratliff families. My Mother has some of the coolest pictures from the area. My Uncle Buzzy Hellems owned the only store in downtown Hinton, I miss going in to visit him and pop open a glass bottle Coca-Cola!
ReplyDeletePS-I am VERY GRATEFUL for your visit to the area. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I live about 2 miles down on the road, "Camp Road", that leads to Sandstone Falls. Sorry if I seem to be erratic, but, I AM! I get very excited when I hear about someone enjoying themselves in my FAVORITE area in the WORLD. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words. I really loved my trip to Hinton. Not only did I enjoy the sites but the people in your town are very kind and welcoming. I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and have a happy rest of the holidays.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I sincerely appreciate it. I hope YOU enjoyed Thanksgiving, and cheers to the rest of your holiday season into 2014! :-)
ReplyDelete