
I know I've written on the Franklin Park Conservatory before but each visit is always new experience, it's always changing with some new event or exhibit to discover. Zac and I went this past weekend and spent most of the time in the Pacific Island Water Garden exploring Blooms & Butterflies. If you haven't been to Blooms & Butterflies yet you really should, it's a staple of early spring in Columbus. The event runs March 7th through September 27 but personally spring is the best time to experience the grandeur of the event.
After the winter we had I really needed to see the emergence of these colorful exotic butterflies. When you step through the doors all your senses are engaged. The color hits your eyes, the smell of flowers from all over the world greets your nose, and the sound of the waterfall roars through the room. I was on high alert for camouflaged butterflies and was richly rewarded. One even landed on my finger!
The one on my finger in the photo is called a starry night cracker from Central America and the one on the flower is a blue clipper from South Asia. The cracker is the only butterfly in the world that makes noise. I was informed by Chris Kline from the Conservatory that, "the males have little nubs on their abdomens, when they run their wings past those nubs it makes a cracking sounds. The one thing we are not sure about is why they make the sound, whether it is to scare away predators, attract mates, or what." It's such a wonderful experience to have butterflies from all around the world in our own back yard where you can linger, explore, and learn expands your horizons.
Butterflies are released everyday at 1:00pm and 3:00pm
The Franklin Park Conservatory also has events fit for the whole family. 
No comments:
Post a Comment