Friday, October 31, 2014

Volunteer Weekend


‘Tis the season to volunteer. This past Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I spend a few hours all three days working with my two of my favorite volunteer driven organizations in Columbus. First was Trick or Tweet Friday night at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center. Saturday we went to Keep Columbus Beautiful event, Plant Pride on Parsons.  Finally, Sunday afternoon I worked my regular 3:00pm-5:00pm shift at the Audubon Center. The beautiful thing about the volunteer opportunities in Columbus is the diversity you find.

Friday after work I went to the Audubon Center for Trick or Tweet and engaged with other volunteers to help local families celebrate Halloween and learn about Ohio wildlife. I did some work setting up the space then mingled with The Ohio State University's synchronized swimming team who had come out to volunteer. It was wonderful to see hard working students give back to their community on a Friday night. I believe volunteering brings out the best in people. The team was willing to jump in and help out with any task that they were assigned, and they were great with the kids. The synchronized swimming team divided up and stationed themselves throughout the center to help families with the games and events scattered throughout the building. Later into the night, one of the full time educators, Traci Weaver, held an entertaining science experiment with dry ice followed by and a night hike with the kids and their parents. The kids seemed to really enjoy themselves, and it was the perfect way to kick off Halloween week.

The following morning my boyfriend and I made our way down to Parsons Avenue to join Keep Columbus Beautiful’s Plant Pride on Parsons event. I had invited a friend of mine, and he in turn invited a few people he knew. We teamed up and were instructed to clean out the potters of the old spring and summer foliage and prep them for new plants in the spring. If you haven’t spent much time on Parsons Avenue, the street is lined with large planters that Keep Columbus Beautiful plants and upkeeps twice a year. During Plant Pride we also picked up litter and built relationships with the community. 129 volunteers cleaned and removed plants from 126 containers, picked up 72 bags of trash and debris, and paint the EZ’s Drive Thru. Plant Pride is more than just picking up trash. It’s about showing the south side of our city that everyone in Columbus knows of their needs and are willing to do what we can to help shed light on their neighborhood. There’s something refreshing about being up to my elbows in dirt while talking to other Columbus residents. It’s a perfect example of action speaking louder than words. The next Plant Pride event is next spring when we’ll return to Parsons to plant flowers and pick up more litter. Please join us in spring of 2015.


Lastly, I returned to the Audubon Center for my weekly volunteer slot as a greeter at the front desk. I mostly say hello to people and answer any questions our guests might have about the building, it’s purpose, or it’s history. Sundays 3:00pm -5:00pm are my favorite hours of the week. Every week I learn more about Ohio wildlife, the national Audubon organization, and by watching the excellent educators I hone my own teaching skills for the future. If you’re looking to volunteer, I’d start with visiting either VolunteerMatch or HandsOn Central Ohio. If nothing grabs your attention, try making a list of your interests and searching for nonprofits that line up with what you’re passionate about. I promise that most reputable nonprofits need all the help they can get. They’ll train you, educate you, and expand your horizons.

Please let me know in the comments where you volunteer currently or where you would like to start volunteering in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment