Friday, May 24, 2013

Wegerzyn Gardens

 
Sunday my boyfriend, my sister, her adorable puppy dog and I went to Wegerzyn Gardens in Dayton for a nice Sunday stroll. I know Dayton is not Columbus and this is a Columbus, Ohio nature blog but sometimes it’s nice to get out of the big city and go to a smaller city. Plus my whole family is in Dayton. My sister showed us this little gem of a park in the middle of downtown and not only did we get some fresh air but I saw far more wildlife then I expected. We saw all the normal park animals: squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, and bunnies. We saw a vast amount of song birds and even a red tailed hawk which I was not expecting.


The park is a blend of gardens, park and nature trails with a beautiful children’s garden in the middle. The park is complete with a beautiful swamp forest, full-grown woodlands, and two full prairies. All the garden trails are lined with native tree and wildflowers that attract wildlife to the area.

I really enjoyed my time at Wegerzyn, and I know the dog did. The weather was perfect, the flowers were in bloom, and I left in better spirits than when I arrived. That’s the mark of a good natural space for me. Finding a space where you can relax and unwind is just as important as finding a space where you can hike and stretch your muscles. Wegerzyn Park is perfect for walk with the family, a jog, to sit and read a book, or in quite contemplation. I’m in the habit of not visiting the same park over and over because I’m always looking for the next best thing but I think I found that at here. If you ever find yourself in Dayton and looking for a place to escape for a while I highly recommended Wegerzyn Gardens.













No comments:

Post a Comment